Hearty comfort meals can be healthy. This delicious beef stew, is full of vegetables for added nutrition.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup dried borlotti beans
- 1/3 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800g beef chuck steak, cut into
- 3cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet or kale, trimmed, shredded finely
- Place beans and lentils in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 hour. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Add mushroom and wine. Bring to the boil. Return beef and juices to pan. Add tomato, stock and capsicum. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour 15 minutes. Add beans and lentils. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beef is tender. Stir in silverbeet. Cook for 5 minutes or until wilted. Serve.