This fat can be difficult to budge, often leaving you feeling not only tired and bloated, but frustrated and depleted.
One of the main hormes at play is estrogen. Estrogen excess can be caused by hormone disruptors - (industrial chemicals found in cleaning products, foods and make up).
Estrogen excess can trigger candida outbreaks, which not only cause digestive disturbances, but are one of the leading causes of hormonal imbalance within women.
Studies Show that...A comparative study found a trend toward higher faecal levels of Lactobacillus sp in pre-menopausal women, whilst post-menopausal women showed higher levels of fungi and yeast. The most concerning trend was found in breast cancer patients, found to have higher levels of E. coli, Bacteroide sp. and Clostridium sp., than both pre- and post-menopausal controls.1
Thrush is a common condition...
An estimated 75% of all women will develop a yeast infection during their lifetime and 90% of these infections are caused by Candida albicans. Three main theories exist for recurrent thrush:
- Chronic systemic infection & hormone imbalance
- Reinfection from a sexual partner
- Poor immune system
Estrogen, HRT, and Brith Control ...?
Does estrogen, HRT and the birth control pill trigger thrush? Yes, researchers find that oestrogen stimulates mature epithelial cells lining the vagina to produce glycogen - a favourable substrate for the growth and promotion of C. albicans.3
The great news is, if you are suffering from thrush, or the symptoms of thrush, we can help.
- Perisic DV, Dokic M, Kovacevic G. The role of prebiotics and probiotics in female health. Arch Gastroenterohepatol 2003; 22(3-4) 79-83.
- Nirjesy P. Chronic Vulvovaginal Candidiasis. Am Fam Physician. 2001;63(4): 697-702.
- Dennerstein GJ, Ellis DH. Oestrogen, glycogen and vaginal candidiasis. Aus N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2001; 41(3): 326-8.