Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Journey To Wellness


Metabolic Mapping and Hormonal profiling are the first easy steps towards wellness and maintaining a healthy body weight, as I discovered.

My Story – Chester, Melbourne Vic.

After  struggling with my weight for a number of years I knew something was not right.  Turning 40 proved challenging in more ways than one.  Not only was I feeling “old”, but my health took a turn for the worse.  I know now that stress played a large role, however other factors were not helping.

For starters, my blood pressure was high and I always felt bloated, tired and depleted.   I was gaining weight around the middle at a rapid rate and although I was watching what I ate, no amount of exercise would budge the weight.

Moody and unhealthy, I was so fed up of feeling unwell.  In spite of taking over the counter vitamins and doing everything right, I just couldn’t get well again.

Over the next 12 months my symptoms worsened; (weight gain, fatigue) and I was also like an emotional time bomb.  I had blood tests and they came back normal.

There had to be a reason why my health was on a down hill slide – and I knew I had to find it. 

My story is a perfect example of how important hormonal profiling and wellness mapping is.  Stress had triggered high blood pressure, so I was correctly prescribed medication.  However, although it was doing its job, my body was not responding well in other ways.  Chatting to my GP about a different medication choice made such a difference. 

This is what my ‘metabolic’ map looked like:














Narelle's comments

After much research, a metabolic map was established that was not only going to improve healthy blood pressure levels and restore energy, but also promote natural hormone balance.  It was time to help Chester lose weight and feel good again.  

Chesters treatment strategy included a change in medications with the guidance of his General Medical Practitioner. 

I also took a personalized tonic using traditional medicinal herbs to restore adrenal health, improve digestive health and support hormonal balance.  

Targeted dietary changes to support healthy hormonal balance and cardiovascular health were also followed.

Personalized orthomolecular therapy and nutritional therapy, formed part of my long term plan for Chester.  His new wellness plan was a must to assist in overcoming his symptoms of fatigue, hypertension, digestive problems, emotional fluctuations and weight gain.

Outcome:

Today, Chester has restored energy levels, healthy blood pressure levels and is back to a normal healthy body weight.  

 
Narelle Stegehuis (BHsc), is a practicing medical herbalist and naturopath specializing in restorative health, with over 14 years clinical experience.  She is both an accomplished writer, editor and technical training advisor.  A recipient of the Australian Naturopathic Excellence Award, Narelle adopts an integrated approach of both medical science and traditional complementary health care principles www.massattack.com.au